Monday, April 26, 2010

Homemade wipes

If you have kids (or not), these wipes are great for cleaning bums, counters, floors, toys and many other things. When we had Everest we started out using soft wash cloths as wipes. I just put them into the diaper pail and washed them with the diapers. This worked great for about 2 months or so, then we got yeast. Everest and I both had a yeast infection off and on for 4 months! The first thing we got rid of was the wash cloths. We wanted a cheaper and more sensitive alternative to store bought wipes. I searched the internet and found a million different recipes. I have tried a few, but over the years I have made it as simple as possible. They work great for us.

We use bounty select a size (the regular ones make the wipes too big). We have tried other brands of paper towels, but none are as soft or hold up as well.

Recipe:

A container big enough to hold half a roll of paper towels. We use a Rubbermaid #6
Paper towels (select a size)
1 Tbsp Liquid soap (I use Dr. Bronners tea tree oil castile soap, but you can use any type of
liquid baby soap or baby shampoo)
1 tsp. oil (I use soap with tea tree oil in it, so I skip this step) This helps easily clean bottoms.
In the past, I have used tea tree oil or baby oil.
scents- if you are using non-scented soap and baby oil, you can also add a drop of lavender or other essential oils.

1. Cut the paper towels in half. Use a non serrated knife and make sure it is sharp.

2. Pull out the cardboard center. (in my opinion, this is the hardest part)

3. Add a little less than 1 TBS of liquid soap to 2 cups of water. If you are adding oil or essential oils add those now.


4. Put paper towels in container. I get one side wet then flip the paper towels and put them in again. Or you can just put them in, put the lid on and turn the container upside down to get the wipes all wet.

Wipes are usually ready with a half hour. Pull from the center, this is easy, until your children start helping. Everest tends to grab a handful and rip them out. They still work though. I make 2 batches at a time, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. I also have a small cylinder shaped container (from store bought wipes). I pull out the center of one of the wipes once they are ready and put them into that container for the diaper bag.
The other great thing about these wipes, is when we go away for a few days. We put them in the freezer so they do not mold. We have left them in there for 3 weeks at a time. Just unthaw them completely before you use them or you will have a little one who is not very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment