Sunday, February 21, 2010

Birthday

This is the cake I really wanted for my birthday this year. I made it last year for Nathan's Birthday. It is from the Smitten Kitchen- chocolate peanut butter cake (we use sunbutter, but still very yummy!). I did not do the cake justice. But it was SOOOOOOO Goood!

Nathan and the boys, let me sleep in a little on my birthday. Thank you! When I came downstairs, they were flipping through my recipe book trying to find this cake. Everest decided he wanted to make me a cake. I have thought about this cake since last year. I would have loved to have had it on my birthday. I even bought the ingredients the week before. But the reality is, I will not enjoy this cake, in fact, as soon as I finish eating it, I will be sick. Eating anything makes me sick, but anything with sugar is ten times worse. I didn't want to go to all the trouble of making this cake and then not enjoying it. Don't you worry, I will make it for my birthday, it will just be in May when I feel better.
Everest really wanted to make a cake, so I let him pick it. We looked through the smitten kitchen and he found this chocolate caramel cheesecake.
Has anyone ever tried making caramel? I burnt the sugar 3 times before I got it right. And really, I have no idea if I got it right. Alas, here is our efforts. We did not get to enjoy it on my birthday because it takes 6 hours to chill and we started at 3:30.

Third attempt to make caramel....
Mixing the cream cheese and chocolate mixture. He had on his apron and chef hat, but not for the picture, of course.

Leaf wanted in on the action. Everest said, "Leaf job is to hand us the ingredients, thats all!" Luckily Leaf didn't seem to mind.The boys had a piece of cake Monday evening. We invited our neighbor, Doug, over for some too. Lisa was working so Doug took her a piece of the cake. Everyone said it was very good. I wouldn't know, I did not try it. We had extra batter so I put it in a canning jar and froze it for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment