Thursday, February 4, 2010

Blessing

Thank you to whoever or whatever was watching over Everest last night (Jim, Grampa, Grama, Ceason or his guardian angel).

Last night around 7:30, Everest and Leaf went upstairs. Nathan was loading the dishwasher and I was putting away the computer. They were not upstairs more than 2 minutes. I heard them in Everest's room. I could hear him walking around on his loft bed, laughing. (no doubt, teasing Leaf because Leaf is not allowed on the loft. Everest likes to coax him up the steps then he yells "mamma, Leaf's on the loft."). I heard Everest start jumping, and then I heard a thump. I had no idea who fell, but I knew one of them fell and I knew it was not good. Everest was laying in a heap on the floor, crying. The way he was laying, I thought if we are lucky, he only broke his arm. Nathan heard me run up the steps and came up right after I did. He picked Everest up and held him. We asked him what happened, and he was a little lethargic for a minute or two. He kept saying, I fell. I was hoping it was from the steps (a little closer to the ground, the loft is 6 feet off the ground and we have hard wood floors). But when he was calm enough to tell us what happened, it turns out he fell from the top. Landing on his head and arm on the hardwood floor. After a minute or two he was completely responsive and able to follow movement and talk. But he kept moaning and crying saying his head hurt. I called my mom who said (of course), get him to the Urgent Care. We called our wonderful neighbors and Lisa came over to be with Leaf. I got him ready for bed and put him down, and Nathan, Everest and I headed to Urgent Care.
They checked him there and said he looks ok, but they didn't want to chance it since he fell so far (6 feet). They sent us to the ER on the other side of town. Nathan dropped me off at the house and took Everest.
At the ER, they checked him out and had him do all kinds of balance things, asked him a lot of questions and pushed on his head, arms and tummy. They said he was ok. We were to check on him a few times throughout the night. If he was fine, we didn't need to worry. They were home by 9:45.
Nathan and I checked on him at least 4 times last night, and every time, he was responsive. He woke up this morning (I thought he would at least be sore), and said nothing hurts.
We are even headed to gymnastics! (the doctor said if he wants to go, it is ok).

I have no idea what happened last night, but I think he is made of rubber. How on earth can you fall 6 feet, head first and NOTHING hurts? I am so thankful he is fine.

Thanks for checking on us.

2 comments:

  1. Whew!!!
    Actually, we had an injury over here yesterday too. Isaac crashed on his scooter and chipped a tooth and banged up his elbows. Poor guy. He's in great spirits, though, thankfully. We'll take him to the dentist to have the rest of his mouth checked out and look into patching his chipped tooth. Oh, it's so hard to see your kids hurt. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do have wonderful Guardians that we can't see and they do double duty for our children. I always put my trust in those Angels.

    Aunt Pat

    ReplyDelete