Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Homemade playdough

My boys love play dough! Everest can sit for 2 hours at a time creating all kinds of things. He loves to use his cars, trucks, cut outs, and really- whatever I will let him use.
Doesn't it look like fun?
Everest using a scooper to tear down his latest creation. They are both exploring playdough with the PVC pipe.

This was a different day. We all 3 played for an hour and a half. Everest was almost late for school because we were having so much fun.
Everest has created the Island of Sodor. (For those of you who do not know what that is-it is the Island that Thomas the train lives on and has his adventures.)
I made Leaf some playdough balls to play with. He had a great time playing with them, until he say Everest flattening his playdough to make the Island. Next thing I know, all my nice round balls were smashed flat, just like Everest was doing. He of course, was doing this only with his left hand because his right was busy in his mouth.

We have used a lot of different recipes for playdough, but this is our favorite. I do not recommend quadrupling the batch. I have doubled it with no trouble, but 4 times was too much. The playdough is a little sticky. It still cleans up very easily and although I do not love it, I have caught Leaf eating it and the only thing I worry about is the food coloring in it.

Homemade playdough
1 c flour
1 c water
1 Tbs oil
1 Tbs powdered alum
1/2 c salt
2 Tbs vanilla
food coloring

Mix all dry ingredients. Add oil and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it reaches the consistency of mashed potatoes. Remove from heat, add vanilla. Divide into balls and add food coloring. Work in color by kneading the playdough.

Have Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment